How long do plastic pallets last?
That’s the $64,000 question in our industry. Predicting a plastic pallet’s lifespan is both simple and impossible to determine.
What Is the lifespan of a plastic Pallet?
The Simple Answer
Plastic Pallets last forever!
Disclaimer: The claim that plastic pallets last forever assumes the following
- the pallet is not stored in the sunlight
- the pallet is not lost or intentionally damaged
- the pallet is always loaded properly within specifications
- the pallet is always handled perfectly
The Impossible Answer
A Plastic Pallet’s Lifespan? It depends!
Plastic Pallets last forever if… there are a lot of “ifs”.
- Pallet lifespan depends on the users application and handling practices:
- It’s also important to make sure the pallet being used is appropriate for the application.
- Often times, the cheapest pallet can become the most expensive, hiding the true expense of using a pallet that is not up to the task. After all, you must you consider product damage/loss due to overloading or improper use.
Neither answer is really helpful in the real world of material handling.
However, we do know that when the right pallet is selected for an application and it’s handled appropriately, it will outlast a wood pallet many times over.
At One Way Solutions, we’ve seen pallets in active use that were produced more than a decade ago.
The Bottom Line Pro Tip
Treat your plastic pallets well and they will return the favor- they’ll last longer and you’ll save money by drastically reducing the frequency of pallet replacement.
What do you think?
We value your option and pallet expertise!
- How long have your pallets lasted?
- What handling tricks have increased pallet lifespan?
Please leave your comments below and contact us for assistance on finding the perfect plastic pallet for the right price.